Pages

Thursday 8 March 2018

Operation Uranus: A development of 'The Sands of New Stanhall'

In reply to my original blog entry about Ian Drury's game, Martin Rapier mentioned in his comment that he had developed the basic game into an Army-level game about Operation Uranus. I therefore dug through the archives of THE NUGGET and found the article ... and realised that he had already trodden a path that I was considering going down myself!

The article – which contained all the rules necessary to play the game – was published in N144 (March 2000).


Unfortunately this article is not available to download, ...


... but if Martin gives permission, I will try to make it available in PDF format.

The main change that Martin made was to make the playing pieces battalions rather than companies.

The reason why copies of THE NUGGET published before N193 are not freely available is related to copyright. From N193 onwards authors of articles knew that anything that they wrote would be made freely available online after publication; before that issue they did not know that. Therefore any article featured in THE NUGGET before N193 may only be made available with the express permission of the author.

10 comments:

  1. Hi Bob, publish away. I think they were available as a PDF on my website for a while in any case as I had a fair amount of correspondance from people adapting it for their own purposes. I think there were some offside reports from the COW game too.

    The big Cambrai game I ran at COW with (14!)players used a variant of this too.

    It is a bit bloody and and a bit too Lanchester by modern standards, but is a fun game.

    Cheers
    Martin

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Martin Rapier,

      Thank you for giving permission for me to re-publish your OPERATION URANUS rules. I hope to make them available on my blog In the very near future,

      All the best,

      Bob

      Delete
  2. I had read a brief article about the Uranus game somewhere not so long ago (don't think it was the Nugget article, but am pretty sure Martin Rapier was its author. It was just a very brief, general account of the action. I was impressed by the simple yet effective design of the whole set-up.

    It seems to me the thing would work very well on a hex grid!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Archduke Piccolo,

      I think that Martin Rapier used to have a copy of the rules on his website, and that is where you might have read about his game.

      I agree with hat the rules should work on a hex grid, and hope to give the rules a try-out on my Hexon II terrain sometime soon.

      All the best,

      Bob

      Delete
  3. Excellent news. I look forward to being able to have a look at the rules.

    Cheers,

    Pete.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Pete.,

      I am hoping to make the rules available at some point over the weekend ... other stuff permitting!

      All the best,

      Bob

      Delete
  4. Now that is a very positive development.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Conrad Kinch,

      I suspect that you might find the rules of interest ... and may well wish to try them yourself at some stage.

      All the best,

      Bob

      Delete
  5. Is the Stalingrad game going to be re-run this year Bob

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Geordie an Exiled FoG,

      I am afraid that I don't know the answer to that question.

      All the best,

      Bob

      Delete

Thank you for leaving a comment. Please note that any comments that are spam or contain phishing messages or that come from Google Accounts that are 'Unknown' will be deleted.