Pages

Friday 21 April 2017

A busy couple of days ahead

This afternoon I am off to central London to take part in a Masonic meeting at Freemasons Hall (AKA Great Queen Street or GQS). The Lodge I am visiting is one that a friend of mine belongs to, and I am going along to help install the Lodge's new Worshipful Master. The Lodge recently and somewhat suddenly 'lost' the outgoing Worshipful Master, the Immediate Past Master, and the Director of Ceremonies, and were thus left in the unenviable situation of not having anyone who could deliver the necessary Installation ritual. A member of my Mother Lodge – who is also a very good friend of mine and a fellow wargamer – offered to help out by acting as the Installing Master, and I volunteered to be the Inner Guard. As a result the new Worshipful Master should be Installed by 7.00pm this evening.

This may sound like a lot of gobbledygook to non-Masons ... but in light of the recent 'Inside the Freemasons' programme on Sky TV, I hope that it will make some sense to some of my regular blog readers, and to pique the interest of others.

On Saturday I will be going to SALUTE2017 at London's ExCel Centre in Docklands. I have already bought my ticket online, and I am torn between trying to get there early – and risking having to queue with hundreds of other wargamers who have pre-booked tickets – or going slightly later and not having to stand around waiting to go in. As I don't have a list of things that I want/need to buy, I may well opt to go slightly later so as to avoid the rush.

It is my intention to take lots of photos of the wargames that are on show and to try to visit the Continental Wars Society stand (to have a chat with one or two people who I know use THE PORTABLE WARGAME rules), the Perry stand (for a look at the new Travel Wargame), and the Bloggers Meet Up at 1.00pm. The latter is an informal get-together and gives a number of the UK's wargame bloggers a chance to actually meet and talk to each other face-to-face. I've been to other meet-ups at other shows, and it is great to actually put faces and names to my fellow bloggers.

If any of my regular blog readers is at SALUTE2017 on Saturday and sees me, please say 'Hello' and have a chat. I'll be one of the sad-looking, older, 'Johnny-no-mates' wargamers walking about the show on my own with a camera ... so I'll be easy to spot!

8 comments:

  1. I'll be interested in hearing your comments on the Perry Travel Wargame. It looks like it could be just the thing, but will the miniatures stand up to use, will they be too fragile, will there be expansion sets as some stage? (etc etc). I can't think of a better person to assess its worth that your good self!

    Cheers, and hope that you will enjoy the show.
    Aaron

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Prufrock (Aaron),

      I'll certainly be writing a review of the Travel Wargame as I've already ordered one on spec! I'm not too concerned about the durability of the figures as I suspect that in the long run I'll be replacing them with metal figures.

      I would have thought that an ACW version would sell quite well ... and I would certainly buy a copy if it is produced.

      All the best,

      Bob

      Delete
    2. Bob,
      I, too, eagerly await your comments on the Perry TW - the rules, rather than the figures. It will be most interesting to see the approach they have taken to a gridded wargame.
      But I won't be buying one; spending the money on some 10mm figures and using your PW rules is far better value for money, IMHO.
      Enjoy your day at Salute - I shall be teaching all day, but that will pay the painting service that is working on my Red/Blue ImagiNations armies and will do a far better job than I could in less time!
      Best wishes,
      Arthur

      Delete
    3. Arthur Harman,

      I must admit to being more interested in the rules the Perrys have come with than the game components they have produced ... although I can see myself using the latter with slightly larger metal figures in due course.

      This will be my first SALUTE in some years, and I hope that it is better than I remember it. I found the concrete floors very tiring to walk on, and the 'atmosphere' (the place has all the appeal of a large aircraft hanger with acoustics to match!) depressing. Mind you, if I go with low expectations I won't be disappointed and might actually enjoy it!

      All the best,

      Bob

      PS. Getting someone else to paint your figures sounds like an excellent idea ... and I may well be following your example in the not too distant future.

      Delete
  2. Bob,
    I am very much looking forward to your snap shots of the venue and games tables and displays at SALUTE2017 and certainly your review of the Brothers Perry game. We basically only have two shows here a year- 'Moab' near Miranda NSW and 'Cancon' at Canberra ACT- we are completely starved otherwise- sad, as I'd certainly support local game shows if they existed. Have a good time Bob. Cheers. KEV.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Kev Robertson,

      I have juts checked that the camera battery is fully charged and a new SD card is installed ... so I should be able to take quite a few photographs today.

      The Perry game interests me more from a design point of view than anything else, so I will be writing a review in due course.

      I feel sorry for you having such little access to wargame shows, and I am surprised that there aren't more local ones. I know that Australia is a big place, but it seems to have large pockets of urbanization and it is a bit surprising that they aren't able to support a small show or two.

      All the best,

      Bob

      Delete
  3. Hope to see you there tomorrow Bob :)

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for leaving a comment. Please note that any comments that are spam or contain phishing messages or that come from Google Accounts that are 'Unknown' will be deleted.