Pages

Tuesday 22 March 2016

Another visit to Waterstones, another book bought!

I visited the local branch of Waterstones yesterday, and on the display of Osprey books I saw a copy of WAR OF THE WORLD: THE ANGLO-MARTIAN WAR OF 1895 on sale ... and I bought it!


The book has been written by Mike Brunton, illustrated by Alan Lathwell, and was published last year by Osprey Publishing (ISBN 978 1 4728 1156 1). I have yet to read it, but as a long-term admirer of H G Wells and the other authors who were writing science fiction, detective and adventure stories at the end of the nineteenth and beginning of the twentieth centuries (e.g. Sir Arthur Conan Doyle, Rudyard Kipling, John Buchan), I am looking forward to this new 'take' on H G Wells' story of the Martian Invasion ... especially as I note from my quick flick through that Joseph Chamberlain, Lord Charles Beresford, Colonel Sebastian Moran, and Winston Churchill all get a mention in the text.

4 comments:

  1. Yes- BOB - I have the same Publication and it is well worth the read, however I feel that it is indeed important to first read H.G.Wells Original Book on War of The Worlds. Regards. KEV.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Kev,

      I am looking forward to reading this book over the forthcoming Easter weekend.

      I totally agree that H G Wells' original story is an absolute MUST read for anyone interested in turn-of-the-century science fiction. There is a lot more in it than is included in most of the film and TV versions.

      All the best,

      Bob

      Delete
  2. It looks splendid. I had it on my birthday list last year, but unfortunately it wasn't among the goodies that arrived.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Edwin King,

      Perhaps you will be luckier next year ... or at Christmas.

      All the best,

      Bob

      Delete

Thank you for leaving a comment. Please note that any comments that are spam or contain phishing messages or that come from Google Accounts that are 'Unknown' will be deleted.