Pages

Tuesday 27 October 2015

Red Flags and Iron Crosses

Yesterday I happened to be looking back at the first few blog entries that I wrote. They were about the set of World War II rules that I was then developing ... RED FLAGS AND IRON CROSSES: TARRED AND FEATHERSTONED.

Re-reading about my various play-tests, I realised that they were a better set of rules than I remembered them being. Perhaps I ought to give them another try sometime soon? In the meantime, here are some of the photographs I used to illustrate those early blog entries.









For those of you who like to know a bit more about the models etc. that I used, they were:
  • Terrain: Hexon II
  • Trees: Cheap model railways trees that I based after adding additional flock to the foliage
  • Buildings: N-gauge Hornby model railway buildings
  • Walls/Entrenchments: Hovels
  • Aircraft: Pre-painted models issued with a magazine part-work
  • Tanks: Corgi pre-painted models
  • Vehicle: Matchbox plastic kit
  • Artillery: Skytrex
  • Figures: Various manufacturers including Raventhorpe, Tumbling Dice, Skytrex, and Britannia

6 comments:

  1. A most interesting WW2 looking terrain with the Military-Infantry, Artillery, Tank Squadron and Aircraft all represented....it fascinates me BOB that with your games there always seems to be all the elements possible in play in a reasonable tight area- very few figures indeed....I've a packet of unpainted 00/HO Airfix WW1 French and the unpainted Airfix WW1 Germans...just might be very tempted to try out Your style of Game with your Rules...have you ever done a WW1 Game Bob?....Regards. KEV.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Kev,

    These battles were fought on my 4' x 3' wargames table, which was certainly large enough for my purposes ... and would be large enough for World War I Western Front-style battles.

    I have fought quite a few World War I wargames, but they were a long time ago as part of my participation in the famous Madasahatta Campaign.

    Good luck with you ongoing project.

    All the best,

    Bob

    ReplyDelete
  3. BOB- Thankyou for the reply- 4' x 3' sounds excellent and convenient for a good sized game...I certainly would like to see any photos that you may have of your previous WW1 games...my MARS Project in 28mm is my main foray...just thought it would be an interesting activity to try out the WW1 small scale battle with the 1/72nd AIRFIX Figures. Best Wishes. KEV.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Kev,

    Unfortunately the Madasahatta Campaign took place a long time before the advent of digital photography, and as a result I don't have any photographs of any of the battles I took part in.

    Your MARS project seems to be making excellent progress, and I look forward to seeing your figures taking part in a battle in the near future.

    All the best,

    Bob

    ReplyDelete
  5. In your future plans do you see any cross-over between these rules and your variations on the One Hour Wargame Rules?

    ReplyDelete
  6. David Bradley,

    I suspect that I will be giving thought to doing something along those lines over the next few weeks. If I do, I will certainly blog about it.

    All the best,

    Bob

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for leaving a comment. Please note that any comments that are spam or contain phishing messages or that come from Google Accounts that are 'Unknown' will be deleted.