Pages

Monday 6 October 2014

Marco Polo's home town ... as a pot!

During our recent cruise, Sue and I went to Korcula in Croatia. Like almost everywhere on the Adriatic coast from Dubrovnik to Venice it claims to have been Marco Polo's birthplace, but in Korcula he has become important to the local tourist industry.

Besides having a Marco Polo Museum, there are several shops selling Marco Polo merchandise. Besides the normal pens, pencils, fridge magnets etc., the shops also sell more up-market goods, including a rather interesting lidded storage pot. Both Sue and I saw it and thought that it might have potential use in a wargame as it resembles the sort of prototype built-up areas that I was working on earlier in the year. Rather than being two dimensional flat buildings, the storage pot is round and hollow, thus allowing figures to be placed inside it.




It has certainly given me some more ideas about creating built-up areas that figures can fit in, and even if I don't end up using it in a wargame, it is a nice storage pot to have on my desk.

12 comments:

  1. an unusual ceramic to say the least; looks useful!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Interesting! Actually, I rather liked the lid on its own...

    ReplyDelete
  3. I've heard of "potted history", but now potted terrain? Excellent urban piece for the Potable Wargame? Sorry!

    Does look like it could make for a good built-up area on a small space.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Gonsalvo,

    It is a bit different, isn't it?

    All the best,

    Bob

    ReplyDelete
  5. Tradgardmastare,

    Seeing it certainly gave some ideas.

    All the best,

    Bob

    ReplyDelete
  6. Archduke Piccolo,

    Until you mentioned it, I had not thought about using the lid on its own, but now that you have I can its potential.

    Thanks for pointing it out.

    All the best,

    Bob

    ReplyDelete
  7. Fitz-Badger,

    I will see what it looks like on the tabletop soon ... I hope!

    I thought the joke was funny, by the way.

    All the best,

    Bob

    ReplyDelete
  8. It wouldn't be too difficult to make up some more of your built-up areas in your own style but with the addition of a concealed lower level to hide troops in.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hmm that's such an interesting idea. If you just had walls at the edge then top it off with a complex roof cover giving the town volume, that would work so well.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Jim Duncan,

    That is one of the lines I am thinking along. I have the raw materials; all I need is the time to build the prototypes.

    All the best,

    Bob

    ReplyDelete
  11. Robert De Angelis,

    It does sound like a interesting idea ... and one I hope to develop in due course.

    All the best,

    Bob

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for leaving a comment. Please note that any comments that are spam or contain phishing messages or that come from Google Accounts that are 'Unknown' will be deleted.