Pages

Wednesday 6 June 2012

The Star

During a recent visit to a branch of ASDA, I happened to be browsing through the section of the store where cheap or discounted DVDs are on sale ... and I saw this one priced at £5.00 ...


... and I bought it!

I have yet to watch it, but the blurb on the back states the following:
The Russian Front 1944: decimated by attacks from advancing Nazi forces, the Red Army faces total annihilation when German tanks begin massing for a decisive offensive. In a last desperate attempt to avert disaster, a crack team of surveillance scouts with the call sign 'The Star' is assembled to take on a deadly reconnaissance mission behind enemy lines.
Undeterred by this obvious load of ****, I still bought the DVD and look forward to watching it, even though it is in Russian with English subtitles!*

*The reason why I was not put off by the blurb is that I looked up reviews and synopses of the film on the Internet (which I accessed in-store with my iPhone!) ... and was generally impressed by what I read. For example, Steve Shelokhonov (writing on the IMDb website) stated that:
The film is based on the eponymous book by Emmanuil Kazakevich. In the summer of 1944 the Nazi Armies prepare a massive Tank Division named 'Viking" for the offensive on occupied Russian land. The Russian Army's special group of seven snipers named "Zvezda" is sent for a reconnaissance operation behind the enemy lines in the back of the Nazi Tank Division. Two previous Russian groups never came back. The seven Russians know that they are going to an almost certain Death for the sake of Victory.
This makes it sound much more like my kind of film!

8 comments:

  1. Actually the initial blurb I seem to have seen before, but not associated with any Russian movie. Didn't know they made that sort of thing... I wonder where?

    The was a 'Wiking' SS Panzer Division, too.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Strange that an elite group of snipers named after a manufacturer of soft plastic wargame figures! :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I've got it and seen it.

    Its OK I suppose.

    Never seen it again so I suppose that tells you everything you need to know!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I've got it on DVD (though with a different cover). It's an enjoyable way to pass a couple of hours but it's not up to timeless classic standards.

    Cheers,

    Pete.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Archduke Piccolo,

    I will write a review of this film/DVD assoon as I have watched it.

    All the best,

    Bob

    ReplyDelete
  6. Arthur1815,

    I hope that the actors are not too plastic!

    All the best,

    Bob

    ReplyDelete
  7. Philip Broeders,

    I'll let you know what I think of it when I have seen it.

    All the best,

    Bob

    ReplyDelete
  8. Pete,

    I hope that it is as good as it sounds.

    All the best,

    Bob

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for leaving a comment. Please note that any comments that are spam or contain phishing messages or that come from Google Accounts that are 'Unknown' will be deleted.