Pages

Wednesday 23 November 2011

Reading old blog entries

Before I went to Norfolk last weekend, I transferred PDF versions of the compilations I had made of my 2008, 2009, and 2010 blog entries to my iPad. During any spare moments I had over the weekend I read through what I had written ... and I was surprised at the number and scope of wargames rules I have written – and battles I have fought – over the past four years. I also realised how much each new set of rules built upon the work and concepts that were developed in earlier rules.

One project that I had planned for early next year was to develop a 'modern' version of my PORTABLE WARGAME 2 ... but the 4-inch/10cm hex version of Joseph Morschauser's 'Modern' Period Wargames Rules that I wrote some time ago (and had forgotten that I had written!) already meets most of my requirements. All it should need is a little tweaking and some changes to the layout to make them ideal for my purposes.

Yet another case of looking backwards in order to go forwards.

2 comments:

  1. Hi Bob

    I'm just re-reading some rules that I made ammendments to back in the 70's. I'm thinking of using them again and am looking at adding some more modern features without losing their 'Old School' charm.

    This is looking backwards quite some way but I'm sure it will be a great forward step too!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Jim Duncan,

    I am pleased to find that I am not the only person who finds inspiration from 'old' sets of wargame rules. I realised how much I could learn from early wargamers when I read Joseph Morschauser's book and incorporated ideas from Lionel Tarr and Donald Featherstome into my Red Flag & Iron Crosses rules.

    All the best,

    Bob

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for leaving a comment. Please note that any comments that are spam or contain phishing messages or that come from Google Accounts that are 'Unknown' will be deleted.