Pages

Sunday 27 September 2009

I saw it ... and could not resist buying it!

Having written about Rudi Geuden's website in general and his latest project – ‘To Arms!’ – in particular, I just could not resist buying a copy of Osprey’s THE BELGIAN ARMY IN WORLD WAR I (MAA No. 452; ISBN 978 1 84603 448 0; Price £9.99/$17.95) when I saw it today in the local bookshop.

The book is written by Ronald Pawly and Pierre Lierneux, and illustrated by Patrice Courcelle. Its chapter titles are:
  • Historical Background
  • The Military Situation in 1914
  • Invasion
  • Rebuilding the Army
  • The Watch on the Yser, 1915 – 17
  • Liberation
  • The Belgian Air Force
  • The Appearance of the Belgian Infantryman
  • Selected Bibliography
  • Plate Commentaries
I have yet to read the book, but a quick flick through seems to indicate that it is well up to the usual standards of Osprey’s MEN-AT-ARMS series.

2 comments:

  1. yes its not bad being very interested in the Belgian army of 1914 & started a project on it (I like the more obscure subjects!)I had to have a copy...its ok.... I must admit the illustrative style is not my favourite and the photo's would do better from being bigger but it does give a good primer to the subject. I have tried to find as much info as possible on the subject...lots of good stuff on the web that not much was new & still the issue of 'are the caribinier coats dark green or black' is not resolved in my mind (i've gone for dark green). it would benefit from more photos of surviving uniforms & re enactors but theres only so much you can squeeze into the 48 page format!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Fraxinus,

    I have yet to read more than the introduction, but it is nice to be able to buy a book about the role that Belgium took during the First World War. For far too long their part in the battles on the Western Front have been forgotten or ignored, especially by many English language authors.

    All the best,

    Bob

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for leaving a comment. Please note that any comments that are spam or contain phishing messages or that come from Google Accounts that are 'Unknown' will be deleted.