Pages

Saturday 16 May 2009

Naval wargames … where did I get that idea?

The reference by Ogrefencer to NAVAL WARGAMES – WORLD WAR I AND WORLD WAR II by Barry J Carter on his blog made me scurry off my bookshelves to look at my copy. I knew I had one … I just did not know where!

I found it in the storage box that I use for those wargames books that I want to keep, but that limited space on my bookshelves does not allow me to have on show. I have re-read it over the past two days … and have come to the conclusion that it must have had a lot more influence on my thinking than I had ever realised.

I bought my copy back in 1975 when it was published, and at the time I remember reading it with considerable interest. However I had just moved from a job in Harlow, Essex to one in London, and my time for wargaming was rather limited. The book went onto my bookshelves, and I have probably only glanced at it a dozen or so times since – hence its relegation to the ‘to keep for future reference’ box.

The book contains sections on how to create wargames navies as well as a set of rules for re-fighting naval battles from the First and Second Word Wars … on a squared playing surface. Having looked at the diagrams that illustrate certain aspects of the rules, they must have stuck in my memory because some of the diagrams that I have produced over the years are very similar.

This book now occupies a place of honour on my bookshelves … and I am very thankful that I kept it for all those years!

6 comments:

  1. I have to say Bob that this is a really good read and it has given me much food for thought. I am off to Turkey for a week from the 25th so may be taking it, and a pad and pen, to the beach! it has made me look long and hard at the DBSA direction I have been heading in. The idea of having bespoke ship stats appeals (as it would to any naval wargamer) as it will enable differences between ships of the same notional type to be identified. Much food for thought methinks!

    ReplyDelete
  2. It is always good to reflect on the volumes that have inspired the directions we take in wargaming.

    I was very affected by the pragmatic, straightforward approach to land wargaming taken by Charles Wesencraft in "Practical Wargaming" and was delighted to pick up a copy from Ebay a few years ago, my earlier reading being from a copy in my local library when I was a teenager.

    Cheers
    Steve

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ogrefencer,

    Have a great time in Turkey. Judging by the events of the past few months you probably need a break!

    Barry Cater's book is a good one, and one that had you not reminded me of it, would have remained 'hidden' in my storage system.

    Good luck with you pad and pencil!

    Bob

    ReplyDelete
  4. Steve,

    I also have Charles Wesencraft's book, and it is one that has stayed on my main wargaming bookshelf because of it common sense and excellent ideas.

    I understand that John Curry is planning to republish it very shortly, and it will therefore be available yet another generation of wargamers to read and be inspired.

    Bob

    ReplyDelete
  5. A find of Barry's book in the library resulted in a lot of interesting time with me and my best freind in our teen years. Having a copy of Avalon Hill's Bismarck, we proceeded to create our own handmade counters for half the WWI and WW2 fleets and make use of Barry's rules in playing with them.

    All because the Austro-Italian scenario he presented sounded fun.

    ReplyDelete
  6. It is surprising what can stimulate one's interest.

    My interest in colonial wargaming springs from taking part in Eric Knowles's epic MADASAHATTA campaign. The naval wargames that we played as part of the campaign used Fletcher Pratt's rules and led to me gaining a reputation for having rangefinders fitted to my glasses!

    Bob

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for leaving a comment. Please note that any comments that are spam or contain phishing messages or that come from Google Accounts that are 'Unknown' will be deleted.